Perhaps the most famous English narrow gauge railway, the Lynton and Barnstaple opened in 1898 connecting the coastal resort of Lynton with the standard gauge line at Barnstaple. It was hoped that a significant tourist trade would make the railway profitable, but despite being taken over and refurbished by the Southern Railway it closed in 1935.
Moves have been afoot for a long time to re-open the line, and since 2004 passengers have been carried at Woody Bay. In 2006 a new, temporary terminus was opened at Killington Lane - a mile towards Parracombe from Woody Bay.
Two restored original stock items - 3rd Class Observation coach 7 and van 23 are also on display at Woody Bay.